2014-10-23


paul desmond
- summertime (1968)
....................

....................

easy was my way into jazz. they're very closely related in many ways, though hardcore modern jazz lovers would surely scorn a lot of what we listen to. fortunate for me i don't have to miss out on either. one of the jazz labels i quickly became a fan of was cti - thanks to rudy van gelder and creed taylor, a whole string of luscious latin jazz releases found their way into my collection. the late and early seventies were a golden era for cti, and included antonio carlos jobim releases, and a host of jazz albums with hubert laws, ron carter, wes montgomery and deodata (amongst others.) They all played on each other's albums. i imagine creed's ultra stylish modern home in the hills of california with the studio downstairs, every one just hanging out and then paul says "say, let's make my record."
this lp is for me much more easy than it is jazz, and i love the smooth laid back sunday afternoon feel it has. hugo montenegro's "lady in cement" is fantastic, and this cover is so cool i have used it in several compilations. if you're looking for something to ease your mind after a vicious week at work, this guy will do the trick.
....................

01 - samba with some barbecue
02 - olvidar
03 - ob-la-di, ob-la-da
04 - emily
05 - someday my prince will come
06 - autumn leaves
07 - where is love
08 - lady in cement
09 - north by northeast
10 - summertime
....................
..........



13 comments:

litlgrey said...

I'm just dyin' to hear the cover of Montenegro's "Lady in Cement" ... the original is just so ridiculously definitive!

detour said...

hope i haven't hyped it too much. it's very unassuming, but for me it is tres cool and very coctail lounge...

Anonymous said...

Yes Hard Jazz, Cool Jazz, Easy Jazz and then the stuff we post. Pop jazz. I take some hard hits over it. But don't care cause me likes what me likes. Thanks for some great posts here. Keep it up. LP

Just call me: Young Chap said...

Hey there partner. I enjoy your blog. I used to run a music blog but I grew out it and now have a new blog. I'd say quiet an elitist blog. No more riff-raff if you know what I mean. If you want to know more about it or what wine im drinking, what stock i'm betting on, or the white collar that I don, check out: Abelugalife.blogspot.com

I have you added to my blog roll along with some other fine reads who have added me to theirs. Check out my blog and lemme know if i'm, "worthy" of your blog roll.

Thanks a lot my friend,

Young Chap
(SJC)

Sancho said...

maaan! so much amazing albums! just wanna say u thank u very much for ur work for us =]!!

detour said...

no problem sancho. i'm taking a vacation at present, but will be back for more. in the meantime, have a good time and make me happy ;).

Anonymous said...

hi detour,

i just found this beautiful post of yours..

i run a blog at http://cti-kudu.blogspot.com. unfotunately i have this album at low bitrate only..

would you like to make a guest post? (i will place a link to your post, not just the dowload)? it would be a great help..

if so please let me know via email or a comments section at the post To all concerned CTI-zens..

thanks in advance..

detour said...

hi cti lover. thanks for asking, and it would be my pleasure to have this shared on your blog.
i'm on my way now to look at all your goodies!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
detour said...

hey cti, i'll be posting another cti paul desmond this evening and a creed taylor verve stan getz album.
btw, did you know a 'kudu' is a majestic antelope with big curling horns. i grew up in the kruger park in south africa and the kudu is the national parks badge. how cool are those african cti jobim covers of the early seventies! so stylish.

Tanmoy said...

hi detour,
Thanks for all the great music....Its a pleasure to hear these great music because of you..If you have more Lalo Schifrin I will be delighted to hear those..

All my best wishes and love to you

CHEERS brother.
you are a musical messiah

Tanmoy

L said...

Another Desmond record that I just stumbled across, and heard good things about. Thanks for posting.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much!